In line with the internationalization of AEA, the International and Cross Cultural Evaluation (ICCE) TIG is glad to sponsor the International Buddy Program (IBP). To learn more about the International Buddy Program, visit the information guide below.
IBP AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- The international participants will feel more at home upon their registration at the AEA conference in New Orleans;
- The international participants will gain a better understanding of evaluation practice in the US by exchanging with a US-based peer;
- The US-based evaluator will learn more about the state of evaluation in other countries;
- Queries from the international participants to the US-based evaluators regarding conference logistics issues will be dealt with in a timely and non-bureaucratic manner; and
- The initial confusion and uncertainty faced by all new international visitors will be lessened.
The buddy relationship will consist of three phases:
1. Before the conference: In order to take part in the program, fill out the registration form by clicking on the link below and e-mail it to the IBP Coordinator (Michele Tarsilla) at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org (deadline to apply is October 18, 2022). Based on your background and professional interests, Michele will try to pair international visitors and US-based evaluators who seem compatible with each other. Once the individuals have been paired, they will receive each other’s e-mails so that they could touch base by e-mail a few weeks before the conference starts.
If you are an international participant: Once you have registered for Evaluation 2022, and if you are interested in linking with an evaluator based in the U.S., please do the following:
If you are a US-based evaluator: Once you have registered for Evaluation 2022, if you are interested in liaising with an international participant and you have attended a conference in the past, please fill out the form here and e-mail it to Michele Tarsilla (IBP Coordinator) at email@example.com by October 18, 2022.
2. During the conference: Once the conference starts, AEA will provide opportunities to those enrolled in the IBP to interact not only with their own buddies but also with other pairs of buddies (e.g., during the Poster Exhibit and Meet the Authors opening reception scheduled on Wednesday, November 9, 2022 at 6:30 pm, the Topical Interest Group (TIG) Fair and Reception on Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 6:00 pm, and during the International and Cross-Cultural Evaluation virtual TIG annual meeting scheduled on Tuesday, November 15, 2022 from 5:00-6:00 PM Eastern. Similarly, the US-based evaluators and the international participants will seek opportunities to spend some time together during the conference (e.g., during lunch breaks, the silent auction or any other AEA-sponsored receptions). The US-based evaluators will also be willing to address any questions that the international participants might have on the conference sessions and logistics.
3. After the conference: The hope is that evaluators enrolled in the IBP program will have fully benefited from the conference by establishing a productive professional link with evaluators coming from other countries.
Important Disclaimer: Remember that this is an informal opportunity to enhance your experience at the Annual Meeting, and it should be an enjoyable experience for both the international visitor and the US-based evaluator. Therefore, individuals enrolled in the program are invited not to present their buddies with resumes or work in progress, and not to expect formal career guidance or introductions to specific scholars in the course of the conference.